Thread: Appliance tip of the week. My window air conditioner compressor will not shut off

Default Appliance tip of the week. My window air conditioner compressor will not shut off

Appliance tip of the week.

My window air conditioner compressor will not shut off - What could be wrong?

Q - My Frigidaire FRA104ZU110 in the wall air conditioner won't shut off. The fan and display shuts off, but you can still hear the compressor going. Obviously, it stops when unplugged, but will start right up again when plugged back in.

If turned back on - the fan will start blowing, but no matter what temperature is set, it will just continually get colder. When it first started to happen last year, there were a couple of times where it would shut off, and work OK adjusting the temp. But, it would eventually get stuck on again.

There seems to be a general suggestion of the Thermistor.

I don't see how the thermistor makes sense, as the compressor remains on even though the unit is turned off, and the fans stopped. I once read your comment on another brand (LG) that it sounded like contacts of a relay welded together.

A - You are correct, it does not sounds like a bad temp thermistor. It does sound more like the pcboard control is stuck or welded closed keeping the compressor on when it shouldn't be on.

In your case you will need this Control Board here.

Q - I have an LG LW1215ER and yesterday I turned the unit off and the compressor stayed on. I have checked the function on the display and I can change the fan speed, change the timer, modes and adjust the temperature but the temperature never physically changes it is always cold since the compressor stays on all the time. Nothing has been changed I cleaned the unit last summer and haven't has any trouble with it till yesterday. What could the problem be is there a relay that is failing or the board and are these parts serviceable?

A - You are correct, it does sound like a bad pcboard. It does sound more like the pcboard control is stuck or welded closed keeping the compressor on when it shouldn't be on.

In your case you will need this Control Board here.

Q - Hi, I am having the same problem with an LG LW2516ER air conditioner. Do I have the same board issue?

A - Sorry to say, yes you do.

Relay board shows available, display board does not. You will need Pcb assembly main linked here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fan-Blade-5304472356-00726854.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	718
    Frigidaire/Kenmore Air Conditioner Fan Blade

Name:	Main-Control-Board-5304492070-01435433.jpg 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	719
    Frigidaire/Kenmore Air Conditioner Main Control Board

Name:	Side-Panel-5304464991-01372240.jpg 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	720
    Frigidaire/Kenmore Air Conditioner Side Panel

jeff.
    Last edited by jeff1; 05-24-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid