Maytag A9200 Timer or Lid Switch ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag A9200 Timer or Lid Switch ?

I have the A9200 top load washer Sn 131731 DS . I was doing wash and the machine had stopped at the spin cycle before the final rinse. I push and pulled the knob and it started again. I came back a little later and it had stopped again with the tub full of water ... I tried the timer knob moving it around and pulling it out ... nothing. I checked to make sure the washer was getting power ... it was ... the timer knob had not advanced when I came back and found it had stopped again. This morning when I checked it again it started ... then I lift the lid and put it back down then nothing. How can I find out which part is bad? I'm thinking it could be the timer, or the lid switch. How can I find out for sure so I can order and replace the part? I attached a wire diagram. Thanks for reading my post.
    Attached Files

Hi,

Make sure the push buttons are selected and not flush...sometimes something can lean against the buttons and make them flush and this will cause the washer to stop.

Check the fuse in the lid switch assembly. The switches can be tested....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lid-Switch-Assembly-22001682-00907799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	10837 LINK> Washer lid switch assembly complete with fuse

I'd be inclined to try the lid switch first, it is much more of a common repair part than the timer is....also the part can be returned for a refund if it does not help!

As the lid closes the plunger moves away from the small switch and it open, as the lid closes the plunger now pushes against the large switch and it closes.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

Running ... almost ...

Well sir ... I played around with the lid switch there was a lot of debris around it, and the machine started running again, but the knob did not move ... I had to move it manually ... so that would be an indication the timer motor is bad and not the timer itself?? Thanks for reading my post.

Comment

Update

Well sir ... I tried to do another load and the machine would not work no matter how much I fiddled with the lid button. The fuse in the assembly was good ... So I did a continuity check and I got different reading ... first I got continuity and the meter read 0 ... then I pulled it from the machine. At first it show no reading on my digital meter, but when I push the button in it would go to 0 ... I continue to check it and now I get no reading whether I press the button or not. So I guess I need to try and replace the lid switch, but does the switch have anything to do with the timer motor??
        Last edited by spirittoo; 12-31-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

So I guess I need to try and replace the lid switch
          A good idea.

but does the switch have anything to do with the timer motor??
          Lid switch sends power to the timer/timer motor and the main running motor.

jeff.
          Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

Ordered the part

Well I ordered the part ... found it for a very good price on ebay for $8.40 to the doors ... I see some places are charging $30 or more for them. I guess it will be here sometime next week. Anyway to temp by pass the switch so I can wash in the mean time?

Thanks for the help and links by the way .... Happy New Year!

Comment

Careful with any parts from Ebay and Amazon, we get emails every day from people thinking they are buying a new part and get a used or rebuilt instead or a no-name style one that doesn't fit correctly.
              Wait until the new one arrives and adjust it after installing ( As the lid closes the plunger moves away from the small switch and it open, as the lid closes the plunger now pushes against the large switch and it closes. ) cause you have to remove wires/wiring to bypass the old one which can make installing the new one difficult.

JMO!

Happy New Year!
              Same to you and yours

jeff.
              Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

This is what I got ...

Originally posted by jeff1 View Post
                Careful with any parts from Ebay and Amazon, we get emails every day from people thinking they are buying a new part and get a used or rebuilt instead or a no-name style one that doesn't fit correctly.
                Wait until the new one arrives and adjust it after installing ( As the lid closes the plunger moves away from the small switch and it open, as the lid closes the plunger now pushes against the large switch and it closes. ) cause you have to remove wires/wiring to bypass the old one which can make installing the new one difficult.

JMO!

Same to you and yours

jeff.

Here is a link to the part I got it is listed as new, but when I email them asking if it's the right part they said it would not fit my machine, yet the part number given is listed for my machine on different part sites ... and another seller selling the same part said it would fit, so I have to see once it gets here.

Comment

Should fit.

jeff.
                  Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

Just the rinse cycle

Well sir ... I got the new assembly but the only thing I get now is the rinse cycle. I saw how to by pass the lid switch and did so and nothing ... not even rinse. Does this mean the timer is bad???

Comment

Running .... but no timer

Well sir ... the machine is running but the timer isn't advancing I had to do it manually so I will order a timer motor and hopefully that will do the job.

Comment

So two issues.
                        Wouldn't run from a bad lid switch.....done now.
                        Timer won't advance from a timer motor issue.

If you have 110-120 volts AC to the timer motor but the timer is not advance/moving....try a new timer motor....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timer-Motor-22205033--00928191.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	10838 LINK> Timer motor, 120 volts

jeff.
                        Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

Thanks Jeff ... I was able to purchase a motor from ebay new for $44 to the door. Save a few bucks ...

Comment

All is good now?

jeff.
                            Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

Yes sir ... just got the part today and the washer is running fine once again. Mark this one as problem solved. Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X