windows 10 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 10 upgrade

I need to upgrade two windows 7 PCs win10. What is the best place to get a valid win10 serial. Are those places that sell them on the internet good? My current windows 7 is not a genuine copy so I can't do the upgrade.

I would continue to use win 7 but turbotax won't let me install. It thinks win 7 a security threat even if I want to take the chance.

Is windows 7 the issue or the windows defender / antivirus, you can temporary disable those. I will private message you.

Comment

Everything is running just fine. It just feel it is probably time for an upgrade since turbotax is barking at me when I try to install. I got it going this year but what about next year.

Comment

Status update.
        I got a copy of win 10 on a bootable USB. However I am having issues with it.
        I have 160Gb drive with XP on it and wanted to just overwrite it with win10. But the USB will not boot. However if I use the same USB with my existing win7 drive in the system it boots.
        Unless someone has some other options my next try will be to format the XP drive and try again. If that doesn't work I will clone the WIN 7 drive try that. Might try it in the reverse order (clone first) to see if I can save a bunch of time reinstalling my software.

Comment

I got it to work. All I had to do was run setup.exe off the USB while in windows.
          It would not over write what I had so now I have to load all the software back onto the PC.

Should I load AVG onto the new system or is windows defender good enough?

Comment

I am starting to think I need to dump this and go back win7.
            Nothing is working as expected.
            I can't access my shared drives on other pcs. Don't have permission.
            I can't find control panel.
            EVERYTHING is different.
            I type in the search bar and it searches the net not the PC.
            What the heck is Cortana. It's everywhere.
            It keeps telling me some function have been disabled
            It's going to take 6 months to get this working and figured out

Rant over. I will keep going back to it when I am bored. This is a spare PC for now.
            Last edited by chrisb; 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

It's getting better.
              I have my quick launch bar back with the basic items I want. I getting used to the menu system. With a few setting changes I have it similar to what I was using in Win7.

Does anyone know how to get the blue "show desktop" icon back beside the clock on the right.

Comment

I see there is no way to make it bigger than a sliver bar so that will have to do.

My next problem is getting my old Tektronix 560 printer installed. It runs on the LPT port just fine in win 7 but it just loops through the install when I try to install it manually using the .inf file. I need to verify the LPT is installed properly.

Comment

https://www.drvhub.net/devices/print...nix/phaser-560

Comment

Looks like I am hosed. The one link says windows 10 does not support parallel ports for the version I am running, 1903.
                    Might be going back to windows 7 after all. I saved a ghost image so I an go back anytime I like.

Comment

is there any LPT to USB adapters out there?

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-IEEE128...11961048&psc=1

Comment

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-6d42c0ab2bc8

Comment

you can get USB printers for under $ 30

Comment

Working...
                          X