Frigidare range burner issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidare range burner issue

I have a Frigidare 24" range CFEF212CS1.
    The back right small burner does not heat like the other ones. If I set the knob at low(3-5) it doesn't seem to heat or takes forever. It seems I have to turn it up to 6 or 7 and then back to 3-4 after it starts to heat.
    Are all the control knobs the same? If I measure ohms should I get the same readings comparing the front to back knobs?
    I haven't checked but could the burner be the issue if someone changed it to the wrong one? Should the two small burners be the same?

G'day,

Parts breakdown shows 3 different elements.

1 - Element, surface, large, 2400 W
    1 - Element, surface, small/6 inch, 1250W
    2 - Element, surface, small/6 inch, 1500 W

So one of your elements is a lower wattage simmer style element.

It seems I have to turn it up to 6 or 7 and then back to 3-4 after it starts to heat.
    That *sounds* more like a possible switch issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surface-Element-Switch-318293810-01027992.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2982 Small surface element switch

Are all the control knobs the same?
    The knobs yes, the switch behind the knob, no.

If I measure ohms should I get the same readings comparing the front to back knobs?
    Ohming the switches or elements?

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

The control behind the knob. I figured if they were the same I could ohm as I turned and see if two knobs ohm the same.
      I checked the small burners and they both appear to be 1500 watt.

Or maybe it's just the way that burner operates.
      Last edited by chrisb; 08-14-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I took the back off the stove.
        Both controls have the same part #.
        Both burners are 1500 watts.
        As far as I can tell both controls OHM out the same.
        I did squeeze the push on connectors for a tighter fit. They seemed a bit loose. I'll see how it functions next time I have something to cook on it.

Comment

From the factory the 6 inch elements should be different.
          How did you determine that they were the same?

There is only about a 1 ohm difference between a 1250 and 1500 watt element.

The rear element is normally what is called a simmer element depending on the manufacturer.

Comment

There is a stamping on the metal Y support saying 1500W. All 3 small burners are 1500W.

Comment

I just checked again and there was a 1250 element. I moved it to the right rear. It was dark last night when I was checking them.

Comment

Sometimes the 1250 watt element will not 100% glow red.

I took the back off the stove.
                Both controls have the same part #.
                3 should be the same, 1 will be different. The switches are amperage sensitive so the large element will use a larger amp switch.

jeff.
                http://www.applianceaid.com/
                Appliance Repair Aid

Comment

I'll take the back off again in the next couple of days and check again.
                  I bought this stove used couple of years ago. Maybe someone changed it out for the wrong one. I have always thought the burner was acting odd but am just now actually looking into it, as it functioned. It's at the cottage and only gets used in the summer.

Comment

Below is a link to info on this unit
                    http://b2b.frigidaire.com/support/Re...&Search=Search

Looks like the infinite switches for all three 6"elements are the same.
                    So you could try a 1500 W element in the right rear position.
                    Then if it works as you want it buy a 1500 W element and get rid of the 1250 element.

Comment

I think my next move will be to swap two of the control knobs and see what happens. Stay tuned this may not happen quickly. I'm not a big cook so this is not a critical issue.
                      Last edited by chrisb; 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X